When was the last time you consciously had to think about brushing your teeth in the morning or before you go to sleep at night? It’s just a habit, right? Something you’ve been doing for so long that it is a ritual.
This same philosophy can be applied to achieving results at work. If you create a habit, ritual or routine related to your goal, or stack a new habit upon an existing one that you do ritualistically, your chances of success grow exponentially.
Productive habits = results
This article, 6 Simple Rituals To Reach Your Potential Every Day, talks about things you can begin implementing right away in order to perform at your highest level and get the results you desire:
- Drink a glass of water every morning – it is important to stay hydrated so you can think clearly and start your day fresh
- Define your “top three” – ask what are the three most important things that you need to complete that day
- Use the “50/10” rule – after you determine your most important tasks, work in increments of 50 minutes with a 10 minute break
- Move and sweat daily – movement keeps you healthy and relieves stress
- Express gratitude – remind yourself what you are grateful for each day
- Reflect daily – evaluate how your day went – what went well or what needs improvement
Are your routines making you more productive or are they slowing your day down? Set small goals to complete every day until they become productive, healthy habits – rituals. Soon these small tasks or goals will be second nature for you.
It can be easy to think of a new year as a fresh start in our personal lives, but forget that our work life could use a little refreshing each year too. Working smarter, not harder, is just one of the strategies we teach our clients to embrace in their lives and work.
Our “It’s About Time” Virtual Productivity Program teaches strategies to work smarter, not harder, and give you back time for the things that matter most. Contact us to learn more today about the program and our one-on-one or group productivity coaching sessions.