With the holidays fast approaching, now is the perfect time to clean out your pantry, refrigerator and freezer to make room for baking ingredients, make-ahead and freeze dishes, and holidays meals and treats! When was the last time you took time to purge your food products?
When working with our residential clients in kitchens and pantries we often get asked the following questions: “how long you think that is good for?” or “is that still safe to eat?” We recently came across a website that helps us answer these very questions. www.stilltasty.com will help you determine how long to keep a product and the best way to store it. Be sure to take a peak!
McCormick also has a website that helps us know the shelf life of a spice. Check it out here!
Once you have taken the time to purge, it is important to implement a few new organizing habits. Here are a few quick ideas for you to do now:
1. Group like food items together (ie. baking ingredients, canned goods, cereals, pasta, rice, snack food, etc.)
2. Use shelf organizers to increase visibility. Ladder organizers work great for canned food and allow you to see what you have without having to spend a lot of time searching. See our post on some of our favorite organizing products for the kitchen and pantry for other great ideas that can help you contain your items and be able to see what you have.
3. Label shelves and/or containers so that all family members know where things go.
3. Always take an inventory of what you have before you make your grocery list. Take the time to look in your pantry, refrigerator and freezer so you know what you have before going to the store. This will save you money as you will no longer be buying duplicates of things you already have. Our Meal Planning Made Easy system helps you remember to do this each time and can save you time, money and stress with your meal planning week after week.
4. Before hosting a dinner party, take time to clean out your refrigerator to make room for prepared food and left- overs.
We hope this will help you as you start thinking about Holiday meal planning and preparation. Let us know if we can help you get your kitchen or pantry organized. Make sure to take advantage of one of our current special Pre-Holiday Organizing packages if you know you’d like some help. Alternately, you can get lots of other ideas on how to have an organized holiday season in our e-Book, Simply Organized Holidays, and/or our companion Organized Holiday workbook. Purchase them together for the best pricing.