Do you have items laying around your home or office that you aren’t quite sure how you should dispose of? If you are nodding your head while glancing around at those batteries, electronics, and other various other items, and are in the Puget Sound area, we encourage you to come to the Sammamish Spring Recycling Collection Event & Bin Sale!
When and where is this event you ask? Swing by Eastlake High School, 400 228th Ave. N.E. Sammamish, WA 98075 on Saturday, April 16th, 2011, anytime between 9:00AM to 3:00PM.
Thanks to the sponsors of this event, you can bring all of those items you weren’t sure about and ensure they are recycled properly. Wondering what will and will not be accepted? Check out these lists below:
1. Tires: Bias ply, steel belted, and studded tires accepted. Limit 6 passenger tires per household (18 inches and below) free of charge. $1.50 charge for each tire on a rim. $5 charged for each large truck tire and $15 charged for each truck tire on rim (cash only). No oversized tires accepted.
2. Motor oil, filters, and Antifreeze: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, 2-cycle oil, steering fluid, crankcase oil, kerosene, and home heating fuel. Do not mix with antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other substances. Empty oil or antifreeze containers will not be accepted.
3. Lead Acid Batteries: Car, truck, marine, and motorcycle batteries accepted.
4. Alkaline Batteries: AAAA, AAA, AA, A, B, C, and D cell batteries only.
5. Household Goods and Clothing: Clothing and miscellaneous household items in good condition. Mattresses will not be accepted. Furniture and items in need of repair will not be accepted.
6. Cardboard: Please flatten. No wax coated cardboard.
7. Bulky Wood: Includes tree branches (minimum 6 inches in diameter), logs, clean wood, plywood, pallets, and other untreated and unpainted wood. No leaves, grass, branches, sod, brush, painted, or stained wood. Please lay a tarp under material for ease of removal.
8. Propane Tanks: Residential five gallon tanks only ($5 charge-cash only).
9. Porcelain Toilets and Sinks: Toilet seats, hardware, and base wax rings must be removed. ($10 charge-cash only).
10. Electronic/Computer Equipment: DVD players, VCRs, stereo equipment, printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners, and cellular phones. Computers and computer monitors (no charge), mouse, and keyboards.
11. Television Sets: TV sets encased in plastic, wood console, sets encased in wood, and big screen TVs accepted (no charge).
*No flat beds or dump trucks allowed.
*To encourage the use of recycled content material and more efficient use of water, the City is offering recycled plastic rain barrels at a huge discount. In addition, start backyard composting with a compost bin to save resources and money. Composting is a natural process that turns yard waste into rich soil. Yard waste contains mostly water. Once the material decomposes, rich soil is all that’s left. All items are $25 each. Cash only. While supplies last.
What NOT to Bring:
1. Household Wastes
*No scrap metal appliances
*No construction/demolition debris
*No plastic toys, hoses, etc.
*No window glass
2. Hazardous Wastes
*No oil based paint
*No solvents and thinners
*No household chemicals
*No cleaning products
*No fluorescent lights
Household hazardous wastes can be taken to the Auburn Supermall and the regular roving Wastemobile or the household hazardous waste collection sites in Bellevue (Factoria) and Seattle.
The Wastemobile will visit Sammamish from August 12-14th, 2011 at Eastlake High School (400 228th Ave. N.E) from 10:00AM-5:00PM. There is a 50 gallon limit and a gasoline limit of 30 gallons per customer per day. No containers can be over five gallons in size.
Want more information about volume restrictions and other household hazardous waste disposal options? Visit www.lhwmp.org or call the Household Hazards Line, Monday to Friday, 9:00AM-4:30PM at (206) 296-4692 or 1-(888)-Toxicated (869-4233).
Looking to solely recycling electronics? Washington has a FREE recycling program called “E-Cycle Washington” for computers, computer monitors, laptops, and televisions. Visit 1800recycle.wa.gov to find authorized E-Cycle Washington collection locations.
So clear out all that “what do I do with this clutter” and stop by the Sammamish Spring Recycling Collection Event and Bin Sale!